I have used only cloth diapers for my daughter since she turned 4 months. And while traveling also I wanted to use cloth diapers only. As we were home only last year, it was easy to manage. But I was not very sure how will I manage with cloth diapers during traveling. And at the same time, my inner voice was not ready to use any disposable diapers.
Here I am so glad to say that with proper planning and determination we managed our trips with cloth diapers. Though ours was short duration trips, it was a great experience as this will help me in planning future trips.
Here are few pointers which I want to share my experience of traveling with cloth diapers with parents who want to use cloth diapers only during traveling:
1) Our flight from Mumbai to Guwahati was in the morning, so the previous day I used only cotton nappies and washed, and let them dry after each use so that I can take them with me. (if you are not planning to take them with you one can also wash them and let them dry at some proper place)
2) I removed the nighttime diaper and packed it in the luggage bag. (washed it at my home)
3) While traveling from Mumbai to Guwahati (6 hours), I made my daughter wear a pocket diaper with 2 inserts, assuming I would not be required to change (unless she has pooped)
4) Carried 2 sets of diapers in the diaper bag. One that would last for 4-5 hours- (if she poops after reaching the Mumbai airport or just before boarding the plane) and the other one with pee holding capacity for 1-2 hours(if she soiled the diaper after we land at our destination.
5) Wet bags to keep soiled diapers, and cloth wipes (I make my own wipes)
6) During our road trips, we stayed at the resorts/hotels for 1 or 2 nights, so bought back the diapers and washed them at home. And according to my, Flats would work best for the day and night time when traveling, as they dry up faster than other inserts.
7) Allowed diaper-free time early in the morning (the time after waking up and before leaving for the day) and in the evenings (after coming back to the hotel)
8) Changed the diaper after 3 to 5 hours depending on the type of inserts used and mode of transport used.
9) Training pants or cotton nappies work great as diaper-free time and they came to my rescue during these traveling times.
10) Cleaned the diaper area with my homemade solution and apply coconut before putting in a new diaper.
It has been a smooth ride till now with cloth diapers. The only mistake I did was not giving her some diaper-free time while traveling from Jorhat to Guwahati (6 hours by road). Since we left in the morning and we’re in a little hurry we changed her diaper just before leaving and as a result she did got some rashes. And this was a great learning point for me.
It is very important to allow some diaper-free time even for 5-10 mins during traveling. If you are worried about cleaning the poop, then there are biodegradable disposal liners which makes poo cleaning very easy. (Luckily our daughter didn’t poop on the flight or in the car during these trips).
Till then happy traveling……
Also, Read Road trips with a baby and toddler in India
Listen to this blog here:https://anchor.fm/gopa-bezboruah/episodes/Traveling-with-Cloth-Diapers-My-Experience-esnm8h
Traveling always excites me and now I can see the same excitement in my 5-year-old son. The year 2020 kept all of us confined to our home, and we missed traveling so much. as things got a little better, we decided to go to our home state (Assam.) I was perplexed and worried about taking a trip at this time, especially with our daughter. After thinking a lot and discussing with a few people who have traveled, we decided to travel. I am glad we took that decision. And I didn’t expect that’s we will be taking road trips with a baby and toddler
Due to COVID-19 traveling took a backseat and it badly affected those who are related to it traveling/travel in some or the other way. The best we can do is to visit one’s local area/tourist places and give a boost to the economy.
At our stay in Assam, we visited many places with our kids by road. we covered approximately 1500 km in 25 days. My elder one who is 5 years old, is an experienced traveler now. We didn’t have any issues with him. He slept most of the time or enjoyed looking outside when he is awake.
It was our 1-year-old daughter with whom we had little trouble. Because we could not go anywhere due to COVID, as a result, it was a new experience for her.
While coming from Mumbai to Guwahati she went off to sleep even before we boarded the flight and got up just a few minutes before landing. It was during our road trip to Jorhat where we got the real taste of traveling. (Jorhat is about 6-7 hours from Guwahati). She was fine and slept for 2 hours and later it was difficult for her to sleep and it was becoming very difficult for us. I tried all possible ways to keep her entertained or make her sleep, but she was just not comfortable. Here are few tips for taking Road trips with a baby and toddler in India, that I want to share
Tips for taking road trips with a baby:
1. Expect the Unexpected:
Travel with an open mind when traveling with kids. Don’t compare your child with other kids. We never had any issue with our son and were expecting the same from her.
2. Travel shorter distance before taking long trips:
It’s better to get habitat to traveling shorter distances (2-3 hours) before taking long-distance trips. If you are covering a longer distance by road, then take few short breaks, where the child can move around for some time.
3. Leave early:
If you want to reach your destination the same day leave early or stay somewhere for the night (especially if you are traveling in winters). We left Guwahati pretty late so, didn’t took any breaks in between as we wanted to reach our destination before it becomes difficult to drive due to fog.
Things to pack, when taking a road trip with a baby:
1. Enough snacks, fruits, water, milk, bibs, reusable cutlery, and bowls/plates:
Make sure you are carrying enough food items. Fruits like bananas are best to carry during traveling as they are easy to eat and they are filling also. Fruits puree from Happa foods and melts from Timios can be very useful for infants. Carry reusable cutlery as I prefer to use reusable cutlery instead of disposable ones.
2. Diapering essentials for infants in a diaper bag:
Diapers, diaper changing mats, and wipes are a must and it’s always better to carry extra than you think you would require. Wet bags to keep soiled diapers if you use only cloth diapers.
3. An extra set of clothes for kids:
An extra set of clothes in case you need to change one.
4. Maternity wear or Stole/Dupatta:
Feeding dresses are best if you are breastfeeding, or any stole or dupatta will also work.
Car seats are very helpful. They not only keep the child safe but will also keep the parent tension-free.
6. Trash bag, old newspapers, and napkins:
Trash bag and newspaper to wrap your fruit peels or that empty chips packet.
7. First aid kit:
The first aid kit with all the necessary medicines. (Keep them out of reach for the kids)
Tips for taking road trips with a 5-Year-Old:
By this age, parents are well-accustomed to how their child will behave during traveling and what are their needs. Accordingly one can plan what to carry and other things to keep in mind while taking a road trip with a 5-year-old/older kid. Still would love to share few points which might be helpful if you are traveling long distance for the first time.
- Show them the outside world, as different trees, birds, etc. Explain to them the events happening outside.
- Keep some toys(according to age and one new) picture books, activity kits, and drawing/colouring books. Colouring books can keep toddlers engaged for a long time(works great during flight journey) recently I found these puzzles to be a great travel companion
- Their favourite snacks, water, juice, and cutlery set.
- A list of their favourite music
- Car seat or booster seat
- First aid kit with the necessary medicines
We retook few road trips, and she was much better every time. And when traveling back from Jorhat to Guwahati, we took a break in between and didn’t face any issues like the first trip. Looking forward to taking a road trip with my baby again. Would love to hear about your experience too in the comment section.
Taking your first step towards a new dimension can be very exciting and one needs the right guidance and platform in each step for that. Be it becoming parents for the first time, starting a new career after taking a break, returning to work after a maternity break, or starting your venture, every milestone will always be memorable.
I still remember the day I came to know about my pregnancy. As I didn’t have any elders around me, I would look for any kind of information on the internet. As any parents to be or new parents special in a nuclear family it can be a roller coaster ride.
We either rely on our relatives, neighbors, friends, house help, books, social media platforms, or communities. In such cases, parenting communities as Mommywize: The ultimate platform for all your motherhood and parenting journey can be beneficial as they cater to every need of women.
About MommyWize: (The ultimate platform for all your motherhood and parenting journey)
Whether it’s an expecting mom, a first-time mom, mom to a toddler, or a mompreneur, MommyWize is the ultimate platform for all in their motherhood and parenting journey. Their website caters to all motherhood milestones.
Founded by Sonia Julka Chawla, she started the MommyWize Facebook community after experiencing motherhood herself and was looking for a platform to get valuable tips and information and when she could not find any such community, she got an idea of starting one herself.
The website has articles by industry experts like doctors, psychologists, and mothers themselves which is to provide useful information and to make this journey of motherhood easy and enjoyable. The website has all the relevant insights and resources for any women, covering Pregnancy, Babies, Toddlers, Kids, Momsphere, Travel, Events happening in your city, Entrepreneurship guidance for women, and Home & Living. As a mom to an infant and a kid I always look out for posts on new activities and topics related to food and nutrition.
Earning with Mommywize: (The ultimate platform for all your motherhood and parenting journey)
This website also gives mothers a platform to write and share their experiences, stories, recipes, and earn with their writing talent. The shopping category can be very helpful for mothers before buying any product for the kids as it provides reviews of various items.
Promoting your business
It is also a great platform for Mompreneurs or women who want to promote their business to reach out to more people. They even feature stories of Mom Bloggers and Influencers with their wonderful motivational stories and also keeps a woman updated with the latest news and technology.
Conclusion: (The ultimate platform for all your motherhood and parenting journey)
Subscribe to their newsletter to get all the updates by visiting their website: https://mommywize.com/
You can also follow them on various social media platforms:
We all have been hearing about essentials oil and people are using it widely as they have seen many benefits of essentials oil. There are various types of essential oil and all have different uses and benefits. So first let us try to understand what are essential oils??
What are essential oil and how are they beneficial?
Essential oils are concentrated steam-distilled extracts of a plant or its part. These retain the natural odor or ‘essence’ of their source and are volatile in nature. they are often used in aromatherapy and in beauty cosmetics.
Essential oils are loaded with medicinal properties and they have been used for medical purposes for ages. Today people use essential oils for aromatherapy, skincare, and alternative healing practices, but mainly essential oils are beneficial in aromatherapy. Some of the most commonly used essential oils are tea tree, lavender lemon, lemongrass, peppermint, and rosemary.
I often use tea tree and lavender essentials oil while making wipes solution, deodorant, cleaner, soap, shampoo, etc, and I have been using Vasu Aromatics Tea Tree and Lavender essentials oils for the past few weeks.
I am also using Vasu Facial Beauty Oil – With Kumkumadi Tailam for the past few months now and the results have been amazing. You can check out my review about this product here: Vasu Facial Beauty Oil – With Kumkumadi Tailam
Now let’s see what are the benefits of Tea Tree and Lavender Essential oil and how to use them.
Tea Tree Essential Oil:
Melaleuca alternifolia is also known as the tea tree. Tea tree oil contains several compounds, including terpinene-4-ol, that have been shown to kill certain bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Tea Tree oil has immunity-boosting property, helps fight germs, and improves skin appearance. Tea Tree Oil reduces skin inflammation and dryness. It has muscle relaxant properties making it useful for massage and aromatherapy. Tea tree oil is used for acne, dandruff, lice, and bad breath.
Vasu Aromatics Tea Tree Essential Oil Uses And Benefits:
- Immunity boosting property
- Improves skin appearance
- Reduces skin inflammation and dryness
- Help fight pimple-causing germs
- Muscle relaxant properties
- 100% Pure and Natural
- No side effect
- Not tested on Animals
- Helps to reduce dandruff
How To Use Vasu Aromatics Tea Tree Essential Oil?
- Bath: Enjoy a refreshing bath by adding a few drops to cold or lukewarm water for relaxing muscles
- Massage: Add a few drops to a suitable carrier oil like Olive, Almond, or Coconut and massage gently to relieve headache and body pain.
- Air freshener: Diffuse a few drops of Essential oil to uplift your spirit and get a happiness boost. Dilute with water and spray to freshen up a room.
- Skincare: Adding a few drops of Tea tree oil to Cream or Lotion will help to reduce redness and itchiness of inflamed skin, ease sunburn, and treats acne
- Hair Care: Add a few drops to your hair oil and massage as usual
Lavender Essential Oil:
Distilled from the plant Lavandula angustifolia, Lavender essential oil is one of the most popular and versatile essential oils used in aromatherapy. Lavender oil promotes relaxation and is believed to treat anxiety, fungal infections, eczema, nausea, menstrual cramps, allergies, depression, and insomnia.
Vasu Aromatics Lavender Essential Oil Uses And Benefits:
- 100% Pure and Natural Oil
- Helps to lighten Skin & Effective stress-reliever
- Relaxes mind and promotes restful sleep & Relieves headache
- Made In India
- 40 Year of Excellence
- Available in 40+ Countries
How To Use Vasu Aromatics Lavender Essential Oil?
- Bath: Enjoy a refreshing bath by adding a few drops to cold or lukewarm water for a gentle, relaxing bath.
- Massage: Add a few drops to a suitable carrier oil like Olive, Almond, or Coconut and massage gently to relieve headache and body pain.
- Air Freshener: Diffuse a few drops of Essential oil to uplift your spirit and get a happiness boost. Dilute with water and spray to freshen up a room.
- Hair Care: for treating dandruff add 15 drops of lavender essential oil with two tablespoons of olive or almond oil. Warm this mixture slightly and massage the oil onto your scalp. Leave it for an hour and wash your hair with shampoo.
Various brands of essential oils are available in the market but I chose Vasu Healthcare as I have already tried their other products and the results have been amazing. Go get one for yourself from the links mentioned below and don’t forget to drop in your comments about your experience or if you want to know more about essential oil.
What happens when you decide to go on a trip with your best buddies? After I resigned from work and was done with my PGDBA exam, I decided to go to Banglore. I always loved Bangalore for its nice cool weather. My friends Aditi, Poulomi, Neelotpal who are from Banglore itself, and I decided to go for a day trip Hogenakkal Falls.
It was a sunny day in February. We started our journey at 7 in the morning from Bangalore. Our 1st stop was at a Udipi restaurant for the morning breakfast. After munching on some Idli Sambar we continued our journey again. We had hired an Indica Taxi. We all were very excited about this quickly planned trip. (Suddenly planned trip works rather than plans made in advance).
Hogennakal falls was 120 km from Bangalore and it will take us 3-4 hrs to reach. The road to Hogenakkal Falls is blessed with scenic beauty and really good roads. The best time to visit this place is during winters i.e from October to March, because of the pleasant weather.
We reached our destination at around 12.30 in the afternoon. Hogenakkal Falls is in the district of Dharmapuri in the state of Tamilnadu. It is also known as Niagara of India located at about 750 feet above sea level amidst the Melagiri hills. We got into one of the coracles. Coracles are local boats and are operated by the local people & it is the main source of income for these boat operators. The coracles are about 7ft 4 inches in diameter and can load 8 persons at a time. They are made of bamboo and all materials available. It takes about a day to build. The bottom of the boat is waterproof, made by the use of hides.
The boat trip will take us 2 hrs as told by our boat operator. We are also accompanied by a taxi driver. He acted as a guide for us & a translator as the boat operator could not speak Hindi & we don’t understand Tamil. Riding in the coracles was an awesome experience. We had seen these boats only in movies.
Hogenakkal Falls is set in thick green woods & is considered both a sacred bathing place & spa-like health resort. Many small falls offer a spectacular sight. After moving further, we saw many local food joints. One must taste fish, made in one of the many kitchens, but the order has to be placed in advance.
One spectacular sight was that of various vendors, selling water & snacks up & down the gorge rowing their coracles. After placing our fish order, it was time for swimming & bathing around there.
After we were done with our boat ride, and our trip was about to come to an end, we decided to get a local head massage. The irony was that the boat operator himself volunteered to give us a head massage.
It was an amazing experience & good memories to fall back on.
How to reach Hogenakkal Falls from Bangalore?
The 3 best ways to reach there are by Train, Bus, or by Road. But the fastest and best way to reach is by Road. One can hire a cab or take their own private vehicle. And if you plan to stay there check out few options here.
You may also read: Pondicherry Trip- My first trip with My Little One
Solids foods should be introduced to babies only after they complete 6 months of age. And providing a balanced meal is every parent’s concern. Babies should be given freshly cooked homemade food, but there will be days when it will be difficult to make everything from scratch, or you are too tired to make one. Store-bought food can be very helpful in such circumstances or when a mom has joined work again. They are not substitutes for meals every day. It can be difficult to choose the right food as babies should be fed food that is free from chemicals and preservatives.
As a new mom with no elders to advise me and looking after the house, I too struggle initially looking for the right nutritional food for my child.
Here I have listed the 5 best organic baby food brands in India that are made from organic produce and free from any preservatives.
Earlyfoods: 5 Best organic baby food brands in India 2020
Earlyfoods is founded by Shalini that envisions feeding fresh, natural, and chemical-free food for children. She came up with the idea of starting this brand as she couldn’t find too many healthy options for her child.
Read her story here to know about their premium range of organic food for moms, babies, and kids. Keeping in mind the daily nutritional need. They are fresh and completely chemical or preservative-free.
Here is the list of food they have for kids and babies under different categories:
- Sprouted Ragi and Carrot Porridge Mix
- Sprouted Ragi, Almond & Date Porridge Mix
- Organic Sattu Maavu Multi-grain Millet Porridge Mix
- Whole Wheat, Almond & Dates Porridge Mix
- Bajra and Pumpkin Seeds Porridge Mix
- Organic Sprouted Ragi Porridge Mix
- Organic Rice & Moong Khichdi Mix
- Kodo Millet & Walnut Porridge Mix
- Organic Little Millet & Makhana Porridge Mix
- Sprouted Ragi & Makhana Porridge Mix
- Organic Foxtail Millet & Dates Porridge Mix
Natural Sweeteners & Health Mixes:
- Dry Dates Powder
- Dry Fruits & Seeds Powder for Kids
- Almond & Date Drink Mix with Makhana
- Organic Ragi & Chocolate Health Drink Mix
- Organic Amla Powder
Foxtail Almond Jaggery Cookies
- Dry Fruit Jaggery Cookies
- Jowar Almond Jaggery Cookies
- Multi-grain Millet Jaggery Cookies
- Ragi and Choco Jaggery Cookies
- Ragi & Amaranth Jaggery Cookies
- Whole Wheat Ajwain Jaggery Teething Sticks
- Ragi & Sesame Jaggery Teething Sticks
- Millet & Sesame Jaggery Teething Sticks
Also read: Teething in Babies: Symptoms and Remedies
MylittleMoppet: 5 Best organic baby food brands in India 2020
Founded by Dr.Hema, who is a medical doctor by profession, MylittleMoppet is a brand of wholesome and pure homemade baby food products, made without preservatives, added sugar or salt, or any added flavors. They are 100% Organic, Natural, and Safe for your baby and toddler.
Let’s see what they have for babies and toddlers under different categories:
- Organic Oatmeal
- Banana Makhana Cereal
- Organic Barley Cereal for Babies
- Sprouted Ragi Banana Cereal
- Banana Oats Cereal for Babies
- Banana Wheat Cereal
- Organic Brown Rice Cereal
- Organic Rice Cereal
- Quick Oats Cereal
- Banana Rice Cereal
- Banana Soya Cereal
- Sprouted Sathumaavu Powder / Sprouted Health Mix for Babies
- Sprouted Ragi Powder for Babies
- Sathumaavu Health Mix / Multigrain Health Mix Powder
- Raw Kerala Banana Powder
- Millet Sathumaavu Health Mix
- Banana Nutrimix
- Organic Makhana Kheer Mix
- Organic Makhana Dalia Porridge Mix
Instant-Mixes: Instant mixes are great during travels. They are super easy to make. Just add hot water and close the lid for 5 minutes
- Sprouted Ragi mix
- Rice Khichdi Powder
- Wheat Dalia Elaichi Powder
- Wheat Dalia Moongdal Mix
- Ragi Moongdal Powder
- Instant Bajra Moongdal Powder
- Rice Khichdi (with Toor dal)
- Soya Rice Porridge Powder
Bygrandma is another Indian brand that has organic baby foods and personal care products. Their products are free from any kind of preservatives. Apart from baby food they also have herbal baby bath powder, cold relief oil, health drink for toddlers, and mothers.
For babies they have the following organic cereals and porridges:
- Sprouted Ragi Porridge Mix
- Plain Rice Porridge Mix
- Sprouted Moong Dal and Rice Porridge Mix
- Wheat and Roasted Gram Porridge Mix
- Sprouted Wheat and Beetroot with Almonds Porridge Mix
- Broken Wheat And Moong Dal Porridge Mix
- Sprouted Wheat, Carrot with Almonds and Dates Porridge Mix
- Sprouted Ragi, Green Gram, Dalia with Almonds Porridge Mix
- Ragi and Oats Porridge Mix
- Sprouted Wheat and Apple with Almonds Porridge Mix
- Sprouted Multigrain Mix with Walnuts For Brain Development
- Health Porridge Mix – Wheat, Dates, and Almond For Grown-up and Adults
Mimmoorganics: 5 Best organic baby food brands in India 2020
Mimmoorganics is a well-known know popular certified baby food brand in India. It is founded by a mom, who came up with this company while looking for the right mix of solid food for her baby. Their teething wafers, pasta are quite popular among babies, toddlers, and even moms.
Their organic baby cereal contains mixtures of organic grain flours blended with organic fruit or vegetable powder.
Mimoorganicss organic baby cereal range includes:
- Multi-grain with Strawberries and Banana,
- Organic Brown rice with Sweet Potato, Spinach, and Carrot,
- Organic Brown rice
- Banana Powder
- Sprouted Ragi
1st Bites caters not only with organic baby food but with a whole lot of other varieties across different categories like:
- Organic Baby Food
- Organic Millets
- Nutrillet Millets & Flours
- Breakfast Cereals
- Ready to Eat Foods
- Bread & Bakery Products
- Millet Biscuits
- Rice & Rice Products
- Organic Flour
In baby food they have:
- Ragi & Dal
- Rice & Dal
- 1st Bites – Wheat & Apple Powder
- 1st Bites – Ragi, Strawberry & Apple Powder
- 1st Bites – Wheat, Spinach & Carrot Powder
- Naturice – Organic Whole Rice Baby Cereal
- Poushtik: Cereal Based Baby Food
Make sure you check wheater any food is well suited to your baby or not. Feed only a little amount to check for any reaction or allergies.
Teething in babies in another milestone both for the baby and for the parents. Teething can occur as early as 4 months to 24 months and it can be an irritating/discomfort feeling for some babies while some don’t show any signs at all. Many parents associate teething with fever and diarrhea, but researchers say these symptoms aren’t indications of teething. The two bottom front teeth are usually the first to appear, followed by the two top front teeth.
Some common signs of teething in babies:
- Loss of appetite
- Trouble Sleeping
- Slight Temperature
- Chewing on objects
How to soothe a teething baby: Remedies for teething in babies
Teething is a natural process that every child goes through. Though I personally don`t recommend any ODC product, it is best to seek advice from your pediatrician. One can try the following tips to ease the irritability and discomfort of the child.
- Massage the gums with your clean finger
- Give a cold steel spoon to chew on
- Teething toys
- Teething sticks
- Teething necklace
- Cold foods like a chilled slice of cucumber, banana, carrot can be given if your baby is already eating solids but always remember to keep a watchful eye on them as this could be a choking hazard
And once your little one does cut a tooth or two, make sure to take good care to clean the area each day with a damp washcloth or soft bristle baby toothbrush. Continue with the habit of brushing otherwise they might not allow brushing their teeth once they are little older (as it happened with my son). Check out a few soft-bristle baby toothbrush from Amazon. Do drop in your comments about your teething experience with your little ones.
When and how to start solid foods for babies is every new parent`s concern. Nothing gives more pleasure than watching your little ones growing up. Starting solids to little ones is an important milestone both for the parents and for the baby. WHO recommends exclusive breastfeeding until the baby reaches 6 months of age as it provides optimal health benefits.
In some parts of India, a ceremony is conducted known as Annaprashana where the baby is introduced to food for the first time and usually cooked rice is fed to the child. Starting food should be a gradual process and only single grain food like rice or suji should be fed first. Before introducing food to your baby I would recommend keeping these things ready with you.
Let us see what kind of food babies can have according to age/months.
6-8 months: Starting solid foods
Babies can start with single grain iron-fortified cereal apart from breast milk and of runny consistency to get a hang of swallowing it. You can add a little amount of breastmilk or formula milk. Once a routine has been established and they get a hang of it one can use less water or milk to make the consistency a little thick.
Vegetable purees made from carrot, pumpkin, broccoli are some of the best food one can give to their babies. Mashed and pureed fruits like banana, pears, and apple can be given. Remember not to give Apple in raw form. Always steam it first and then only fed the baby.
Later purees made from 2-3 vegetables like Carrot, Peas can be given. Don’t add salt or sugar, instead, natural sweeteners like Banana Powder or Palm Sugar can be given. You can also try other Organic Baby food items that are available in the market.
One can even introduce Finger foods or teething sticks at this age. I found teething sticks form Early foods to be helpful for my daughter. They are made from organic whole wheat breadsticks and travel friendly too. You can add more variety of food at this age. It can be either in puree form, mashed, or even small tiny chunks. Properly cook pureed meat and egg can also be fed to the baby. Remember breastfeeding or formula should be continued, and no cow`s milk to be introduced until the baby is 2 years of age.
After 12 months of age, the baby can start having whatever the rest of the family is eating but with less oil and spices. Always remember to maintain an ideal environment, away from distractions like mobile phones and tv screens.
Starting solids is an important milestone for both the parents and the child. There are few baby feeding essentials that one should keep ready before introducing solids to your baby. Here I have made a list of 10 Baby Feeding Essentials for Starting Solids.
1. Sitting place/ Feeding Chair /Highchair: Baby Feeding Essentials for Starting Solids
It is the first feeding essentials. Make the habit of feeding your child in an upright position and at a particular place every day. You can buy a Highchair/feeding chair also. They are not only comfortable but will also make the child understand that its meal time and in the long run you will not have to struggle, to make them sit to eat. There will be a phase when they will resist sitting, especially when they start crawling or walking. That is ok. Later they will again sit at one place to have food. Just make sure you encourage them to sit in the chair every day. You can check out a few Highchair/Feeding chairs by clicking on the image.
2. Utensil: Bowls/Spoons: Baby Feeding Essentials for Starting Solids
Keep small bowls and spoons ready. Try to avoid plastic materials. Many Indian parents prefer silver bowl and spoons to start with as it is believed to be 100% bacteria-free. Or go for stainless steels.
3. Bibs: Baby Feeding Essentials for Starting Solids
Bibs are very important as feeding times are going to be a messy thing. Invest in a good bib which will last for a long time. Avoid buying the smaller ones. This is another habit that you have to start from the day of starting solids. Again there will be a phase when they will not want to wear them.
4.Napkin/ Face Towel: Baby Feeding Essentials for Starting Solids
Keep paper towels or soft face towels by your side to clean up their face and hands.
5. Saucepan or Small Pressure Cooker:
Saucepans are ideal to make food for the baby. A pressure cooker will be required if you are making dal and later for making khichdi.
Always sterilize your baby’s utensils to make them free from germs and bacteria. A pan or electric sterilizer will be required to sterilizer your baby’s feeding bowls/spoons and toys. Sterilization of baby’s utensils is very important as their immune system is not fully developed at this age and they are more susceptible to infections. An electric sterilizer is optional. They only make things faster and convenient.
7. Cleaning Products (Optional):
You can use soapy water for cleaning or otherwise, various cleaning products are available in the market nowadays. They are specially formulated for cleaning baby’s feeding utensils and toys. You can check them here:
8. Steamer or Food Processor (Optional):
A steamer is optional. But they can make things easier, otherwise, you can steam the vegetables and fruits in your saucepan. And you would require a masher or food processor/blender to make purees. Check here some good food steamer and blender.
9. Insulated Water Bottle:
You would require them if you prefer to boil water and keep them for later use. They can be very helpful when you make ready-to-eat types of food like Cerelac which requires adding only warm water or when you go out with your little one.
10. Keep away from distraction:
It is very important to keep away the child from any kind of distraction during mealtime. Kids should not be allowed any screen time, instead read them a book, tell a story or sing a rhyme. The environment should be ideal.
Hope this list of feeding essentials will be helpful for 1st-time parents. Do leave your feedback in the comment section.