I have used only cloth diapers for my daughter since she turned 4 months. And while traveling also I wanted to use cloth diapers only. As we were home only last year, it was easy to manage. But I was not very sure how will I manage with cloth diapers during traveling. And at the same time, my inner voice was not ready to use any disposable diapers.
Here I am so glad to say that with proper planning and determination we managed our trips with cloth diapers. Though ours was short duration trips, it was a great experience as this will help me in planning future trips.
Here are few pointers which I want to share my experience of traveling with cloth diapers with parents who want to use cloth diapers only during traveling:
1) Our flight from Mumbai to Guwahati was in the morning, so the previous day I used only cotton nappies and washed, and let them dry after each use so that I can take them with me. (if you are not planning to take them with you one can also wash them and let them dry at some proper place)
2) I removed the nighttime diaper and packed it in the luggage bag. (washed it at my home)
3) While traveling from Mumbai to Guwahati (6 hours), I made my daughter wear a pocket diaper with 2 inserts, assuming I would not be required to change (unless she has pooped)
4) Carried 2 sets of diapers in the diaper bag. One that would last for 4-5 hours- (if she poops after reaching the Mumbai airport or just before boarding the plane) and the other one with pee holding capacity for 1-2 hours(if she soiled the diaper after we land at our destination.
5) Wet bags to keep soiled diapers, and cloth wipes (I make my own wipes)
6) During our road trips, we stayed at the resorts/hotels for 1 or 2 nights, so bought back the diapers and washed them at home. And according to my, Flats would work best for the day and night time when traveling, as they dry up faster than other inserts.
7) Allowed diaper-free time early in the morning (the time after waking up and before leaving for the day) and in the evenings (after coming back to the hotel)
8) Changed the diaper after 3 to 5 hours depending on the type of inserts used and mode of transport used.
9) Training pants or cotton nappies work great as diaper-free time and they came to my rescue during these traveling times.
10) Cleaned the diaper area with my homemade solution and apply coconut before putting in a new diaper.
It has been a smooth ride till now with cloth diapers. The only mistake I did was not giving her some diaper-free time while traveling from Jorhat to Guwahati (6 hours by road). Since we left in the morning and we’re in a little hurry we changed her diaper just before leaving and as a result she did got some rashes. And this was a great learning point for me.
It is very important to allow some diaper-free time even for 5-10 mins during traveling. If you are worried about cleaning the poop, then there are biodegradable disposal liners which makes poo cleaning very easy. (Luckily our daughter didn’t poop on the flight or in the car during these trips).
Till then happy traveling……
Also, Read Road trips with a baby and toddler in India
Listen to this blog here:https://anchor.fm/gopa-bezboruah/episodes/Traveling-with-Cloth-Diapers-My-Experience-esnm8h